A luxury hotel has replaced what was once the Holiday Inn Bloor at 280 Bloor Street West, just north of the St. George campus.

The San Francisco-based hospitality brand Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants opened the Kimpton Saint George hotel on June 19 and is currently taking reservations. This is Kimpton’s first Canadian location.

The 14-storey hotel includes 188 hotel rooms, 1,500 square feet of meeting space, and amenities such as complimentary yoga mats in every room, a fully-equipped on-site fitness centre, valet parking, and an evening wine hour in the lobby.

“We are thrilled to open our doors to bring our uniquely personal and authentic boutique hotel experience to Toronto and to welcome our esteemed first guests,” said Bertrand Mangeot, General Manager of Kimpton Saint George.

The Saint George has also rebranded the once-beloved pub and student hangout Fox and Fiddle as a gastropub called The Fortunate Fox, which offers menu items such as local craft beer and upscale pub appetizers.

“A soon-to-be neighbourhood staple, The Fortunate Fox has something for everyone – travellers, locals and students,” reads a statement from the Saint George.

The gastropub also features a menu with daily specials ranging from  $10 burgers on Mondays to $4 tequila shots on Saturdays. Patrons can also take part in activities including Tuesday darts and Sunday karaoke.

The Holiday Inn Bloor closed its doors earlier in the year, much to the dismay of a large student crowd. Along with the hotel chain, the adjacent Fox and Fiddle pub and New York Fries restaurant were also closed.

Students have criticized the hotel’s luxury price point, considering its proximity to the university campus and its location in the Annex, a neighbourhood known for its student population and affordable eateries. Rooms at the Saint George start at $288.10 a night.