What if I told you that you had the power to make 2019 the year of you? Ultimately, your outlook on 2019 can only shift when your mindset does. A properly fuelled body and positive mindset will work wonders for an overall state of healthy well being and mental health.

To improve your mood, mindset, and achieve peak productivity, here are five things you should turn into habits this semester.

A positive outlook starts with you.

1. Be positive

Research shows that the way in which we think about ourselves can have a powerful effect on the way we feel. According to Psychology Today, “when we perceive our self and our life negatively, we can end up viewing experiences in a way that confirms that notion.” Be patient with yourself and write down realistic steps to achieving personal goals.

2. Exercise

Go out and be active! Dedicate a minimum of 30 minutes a day to physical activity and your mind and body will feel refreshed. While working out, our bodies release stress-relieving and mood-boosting endorphins, making exercise a powerful way to relieve stress, anxiety, and depression.

3. Go to bed on time

Research has shown that not getting enough sleep has a negative impact on mood. Caffeine is just a temporary fix for not dozing off in class, and I’m sure a lot of us can relate. Maintaining a pattern of sleep and a technology-free hour before bed can make a huge difference.

4. Take a break

While the life of a student is an extremely hectic one, it’s important to take a few moments to breathe and relax. Utilize study breaks and listen to the needs of your body and mind. When you feel stressed or overwhelmed, take the necessary time to breathe.

Taking a step away from whatever is stressing you out will result in you coming back to the issue more clearheaded.

5. Be social. Laugh!

People function better when they have strong social ties with friends and family. Positivity is contagious when you surround yourself with the right people. Create lifelong memories and be sure to laugh as often as possible, as laughter can reduce stress and increase your ability to learn.