On October 31, a total of five people were stabbed outside a Halloween house party near the intersection of Madison Avenue and Bloor Street West. One of the victims, 19-year-old Firdous Nabizada, died in hospital on November 2.

According to police, 19-year-old Jacob Alves was disarmed and kicked out of a house party at 22 Madison Avenue by party-goers after he became involved in an altercation and produced a knife. He then attempted to re-enter the party and, upon denial, became angered.

While individuals attempted to calm him down, he produced another knife and began indiscriminately attacking individuals waiting in the line for entry outside the house.

Alves and a 15-year-old girl were initially both charged with three counts of aggravated assault, three counts of assault with a weapon, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, and attempted murder. Following the death of Nabizada, Alves’ charges were upgraded to second-degree murder.

According to its website, 22 Madison Avenue is the location of Theta Delta Chi fraternity.

The Toronto Star reports that the house was being rented out by a Toronto model, Christian Renaud, for his 20th birthday party. Renaud said that he and Alves had been friends in high school at Forest Hill Collegiate Institute, but had drifted apart since then.

With files from Josie Kao