Alexandra McLean

Alexandra McLean is a first-year social sciences student. McLean has previously served as chair of the advocacy committee and a member of the UTSU’s First Year Council. “As a Deaf individual with bilateral cochlear implants, I am extremely passionate about equity-based objectives and hope to dedicate my future career to initiatives that promote access to vital services and resources for all,” wrote McLean of her campaign.

As vice-president equity, McLean would prioritize intersectionality: “While we all go to the same university, we do not experience it in the same way.” Changes she would implement include the creation of a diversity and equity first- year council that would increase access to campus resources through student life, equity, and accessibility-based initiatives. The council would also plan and promote events, with a focus on equity and diversity. She would also look to implement mental health initiatives within the eXpression Against Oppression campaign.

Vibhuti Kacholia

Vibhuti Kacholia is a third-year global health, psychology, and women and gender studies student, and is running to be the next vice-president equity of the UTSU.

Kacholia has long been a member of the Victoria University Students’ Administrative Council, and has held the roles of councillor, equity co-chair, and vice-president external. She’s running for the UTSU to “take the experience [she] gained at the college level and translate it student wide.”

While Kacholia lauds the UTSU’s recent memorandum of agreement with the Black Students’ Association, she believes that the union lacks transparency — specifically in the equity portfolio. is follows criticisms that have been raised against current Vice-President Equity Michael Junior Samakayi for failing to meet the Board of Directors’ expectations on equity-related campus events.

Kacholia is committed to reaching out to “individuals [who] may not see themselves reflected in student politics” in order to provide spaces for them and hear their voices. As part of her platform, Kacholia hopes to establish an open channel where students can “voice the realities of mental health and accessibility to faculty and staff.” She hopes this will promote understanding between students and faculty regarding the student experience.

Kacholia plans on expanding the eXpression Against Oppression program, which delivers a series of events throughout the year aimed at raising awareness of marginalization on cam- pus. She also proposed reforming the UTSU’s minutes system by releasing shorter summaries so that “students don’t have to read the pages of minutes.”