Have you decided to end your COVID-19-induced break from exercise and return to the gym? For many gym-goers, the reopening of fitness centres is an opportunity to regain a sense of normalcy and return to old routines. Here’s a run-down of what St. George students can expect from the reopened gyms on campus.

Note: for all of the listed gyms, there is no access to change rooms and lockers. Happy gym-going!

Goldring Centre for High Performance Sport

Goldring is currently only open for student-athlete training, which means that many definitely won’t be allowed in it for now. Athletes and their coaches must enter through the southeast doors. Once inside, they will enjoy a strength and conditioning centre, sport medicine clinic, and field house for basketball, volleyball, and other sports.

I am a big fan of Goldring. I will most likely be the first non-athlete student to return to the open and bright space when it welcomes everyone.

Being surrounded by Varsity athletes motivates me to work harder, if only to prove that I belong at the gym. I won’t be getting off my treadmill after only five minutes of running if I know the football team is behind me!

Location: 100 Devonshire Place

Current hours: Mondays to Fridays from 11:00 am to 7:00 pm.

Athletic Centre

Access to the Athletic Centre (AC) for sports and recreation participants is through the Classic Avenue entrance only, in accordance with the City of Toronto’s public health guidelines. Masks are required upon entrance and exit, but not while working out.

Gym equipment is spaced four metres apart — giving you two metres of space more than required — and weights and conditioning machines are now in the Field House, which will accommodate a maximum of 50 students.

The AC was the first gym at U of T I went to because of its spacious dance studio. It offers the largest range of amenities and has organized training stations that students can book for up to 45 minutes. It is also the only facility that offers swimming lanes — from Mondays to Fridays between 7:30 am and 2:30 pm.

Location: 55 Harbord Street

Current hours: Mondays to Fridays from 7:00 am to 4:00 pm.

Hart House

Hart House’s fitness centre is open for students, staff, and faculty members as long as they register beforehand. For physical distancing purposes, it has opened a new entry through the north laneway.

Furniture is configured to ensure at least two metres of space between gym-goers. Many of their usual amenities are closed, including the pool, squash courts, cycle-fit, cardio, weight, activities, and exercise rooms, and track.

“What is left?” you may ask. The answer is a small selection of Nautilus weight machines, free weights, and cardio machines. I often get lost when visiting the Hart House gym, so the new layout may actually work in my favour.

It seems like a great choice if you’re in the need for some safe socialization as well. Hart House is also offering in-person group fitness classes in the Hart House quad.

Location: 7 Hart House Circle

Current Hours: Mondays to Fridays from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm and Saturdays and Sundays 8:00 am to 6:00 pm, and holidays from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm.