Members of the TRANSFORM UTSC slate won all the executive positions in the 2023 Scarborough Campus Students’ Union (SCSU) general elections. All six executive candidates ran unopposed.

On March 13, the Chief Returning Officer informed The Varsity that the SCSU announced the unofficial results of the elections for the 2023–2024 academic year. Around 460 students — less than four per cent of those eligible to vote — cast their ballots from March 7 to March 9. 

Last year, five out of six executive candidates ran uncontested, and less than four per cent of those eligible voted in the elections.

Results

Amrith David — current SCSU vice-president academic and university affairs (VP PUA) and interim president since January — was elected as president with 363 votes, or 78 per cent of all votes cast. 

Afsana Miah, who ran unopposed for VP PUA, was elected with 327 votes, or 70 per cent of all votes cast.

Abdulrahman Diab won the vice-president campus life position with 337 votes, or 73 per cent of all votes cast.

Denise Nmashie received 340 votes, or 73 per cent of all votes cast, and will assume the vice-president equity position next year.

Khadidja Roble was elected as vice-president external with 343 votes, or 74 per cent of all votes cast.

Lastly, Akaash Palaparthy will serve as vice-president operations next year, after receiving 344 votes, or 74 per cent of all votes cast. 

Twenty three students ran for the eighteen available board of director (BOD) positions. Among them, Kathy Nguyen, Belar Amin, Aaliyah Jaleel, and Prithika Piratheepan won seats on the BOD. 

Meanwhile, Markle Ning, Leen Chanouha, Hycil Fernandes, Alba Jorquera, Dan Pham, Gayathri Siva, Austin Le, Adegoriola Debo-Adesina, Hunain Sindhu, Khalil-Najir Miles, Zaynab Azeem, Desteenie Africa, Fawzia Elhag, and Vyshnavi Kanagarajamuthaly were elected to the BOD by acclamation.

All elected candidates will begin their terms on May 1.