The Governor-General’s husband can read (and write)!

We here in Arts know nothing about book stuff if it doesn’t come on glossy paper and feature naked people, so we’re gonna cop the press release here. You intellectual types should know what this is about.

“The U of T Bookstore Reading Series presents John Ralston Saul, award-winning and best-selling author of Voltaire’s Bastards and The Unconscious Civilization.” Apparently he’s discussing his latest book, On Equilibrium, Friday January 25th at 7:30 in Convocation Hall (31 King’s College Circle). Tix are $7. Call (416) 946-7685 or (416) 978-7989 for more info and watch future Varsity issues for an in-depth interview.

Issues with Art

Grouping their permanent collection into sub-genres (we think), the Justina M. Barnicke Gallery (in Hart House, 7 Hart House Circle) is hosting a new series entitled Social Consciousness in Canadian Art, running until January 31st. Featuring the likes of General Idea, John Scott, Jane Ash Poitras, Micah Lexier, Sheila Butler and more, we’re sure it’s a culture-lover’s smorgasbord. Gallery hours are 11-7 Monday to Friday and 1-4 on weekends. Call (416) 978-8398 for the dillio.

A play about a drunk dude—whoo!

The University College Drama Program is rippin’ it out again with a presentation of Euripides’ Bacchae, running from January 24 to February 9 at the Helen Gardiner Phelan Playhouse (whew!), 79A St. George Street. Just to impress you, we’ll tell you about the crew: it’s directed by Siminovitch Prize Winner Daniel Brooks (who?), music is by the composer of Theatre du Soleil Jean-Jacques Lemetre (huh?) and masks are by Florentine master mask maker Paolo Consiglio (ha?). Call (416) 978-1505 to reserve tickets.