On January 11, Mayor Mel Lastman shook the hand of a Hell’s Angels member at the Holiday Inn near King St. W. Now he is on the defensive as political pundits, council members and citizens alike question the gesture. The controversy even warranted a comment from the mayor of Montreal, who stated that he “would never give his hand to a member of the Hell’s Angels.”

Perhaps, when confronted with the Angel’s hand, the mayor should have run and hidden like a little girl. Perhaps he should even have spit in the man’s face. Conceivably, and perhaps even desirably, the mayor should have taken his own hand, curled it up in a fist, and beaten the man senseless. If that were unsuccessful, he could even have sent him to Africa and let those natives deal with him.

Frankly, the handshake didn’t indicate support. It is customary to shake someone’s hand when you meet or greet him or her. A handshake doesn’t mean the mayor supports the Hell’s Angels’ policies or advocates their positions. The logic employed by opponents of the handshake is laughable. It goes something like this: there was a handshake, which now means the mayor is not only a friend of the man whose hand he shook, but also supports that person and every person in their organization—not to mention their alleged illegal activities. That is one powerful handshake!

Simply put, the issue is not about the policies and actions of the Hell’s Angels, nor is it about the past political mistakes of the mayor (which, in all likelihood, made this controversy seem more meaningful). The issue is civility. The mayor was presented with a hand; he did not have any specific knowledge of that person, nor did that person’s association with the Hell’s Angels indicate specific policies. (Membership in the Hell’s Angel’s does not necessarily indicate a fundamental belief, as it might for the Klu Klux Klan.) Should the mayor request a background check for all those who wish to shake his hand?

There is also considerable criticism coming from Quebec, where there have been long and undesirable dealings with the Hell’s Angels. Frankly, I don’t believe many people in Toronto care whether the mayor of Montreal would have shaken anyone’s hand. I didn’t realize Montreal was doing so well that its mayor had the time to be concerned about handshakes in Toronto.

There is a sense of symbolism in the handshake. But let’s be realistic. Unintended symbolism is not as important as many believe. The mayor has not instituted or supported a policy that promotes the alleged illegal activities of this organization. If these people are committing crimes left, right and centre, why aren’t they in jail or being prosecuted? Guilt by association is childish… and dangerous.

There are those who suggest Lastman should have never been where he was in the first place. That’s reasonable.

There are more productive and important issues that require his attention: homelessness, an undeveloped waterfront, a potential financial disaster for the TTC … the list goes on. I don’t necessarily support the mayor or the Hell’s Angels.

Nevertheless, the issue has been blown out of proportion and I hope most people are sensible enough to realize that.