“I wouldn’t exactly call us rock stars,” states Slackers mainstay Dave Hillyard from New York City. Talking about the current status of his band in the punk/ska music stratosphere, he adamantly denies being in any kind of celebrity realm, but is very pleased about the exposure his band is currently receiving.

The Slackers, a 7-piece reggae-influenced punk band, are currently struggling with the age-old dilemma of how to expand their following without compromising the music and message that has attracted and kept the tight and loving community that currently supports them.

“I think that our goal is to figure out a way to get bigger exposure and yet, at the same time, stay true to our musical ideals….We’ve been doing it for a long time, but we’re still a cult band.”

It’s also difficult for the Slackers to appeal to the mainstream without becoming the mainstream standard, as their sound is quite unique and a bit of an acquired taste.

“[The Slackers sound] is a mix of a Jamaican base of old-school ska, reggae and rock-steady. Mixed on top of that is a whole bunch of different stuff: R&B, a little bit of Latin music, a little bit of jazz… even a little bit of country, depending on the song.

“We kind of play differently than most people. Flogging Molly [with whom the Slackers are planning on touring as early as March] have a sort of similar vibe. Other than that…Skatallites, obviously…”

Aside from their sound, the Slackers stay unique by trying their best to send out a message of goodwill and unity, two of the pillars their scene was founded on.

“After Todd [Eckhardt from another New York City-based band, the Pietasters] died, and the World Trade Center bombing, I think that the whole city has banded together a little more.”

Indeed, the already notoriously close-knit NYC scene, characterized by such heavy-hitters as Rancid and H20, as well as lesser-known players like the Slackers and Hillyard’s side project, the Rocksteady 7, has seemed to come together even more. Even though, as Hillyard says, “We were pretty tight before.”

In keeping with the dichotomy of ska, the Slackers are also very reverential of their fan base and tour relentlessly.

Among the places they have visited are a high school prom, a Navajo reservation, Slovenia and almost the entire United States.

“There’s not necessarily a typical Slackers fan…it seems to vary depending on where we are,” says Hillyard.

They are warmly greeted wherever they are, and are happy to tour, as “there aren’t a lot of [ska and punk] bands who hit the road these days.”

Luckily, the Slackers are making their way across the border to our (fair) country to spread their message of rock.