Yes, often the shit does pile up so high that you do need wings just to stay above it. But how come it always seems deepest, and most odoriferous, where student governance is supposed to be be taking place?

Take the March 1 Optic party, organized and executed by the Students’ Administrative Council, for example. Why, exactly, did 55, 000 students pay close to $20, 000 dollars so 500 of their number could pay $15 a head to hang out with one another? Was SAC trying to spur the local economy by renting a venue, subsidizing bar staff wages, playing the “let’s-burn-money” game..?

And how did SAC manage to lose money by throwing a $20, 000 rave? Most parties like this happen because people want to make money. Many people are in the business of making money this way. (And, incidentally, in a city with nightlife as lively as Toronto’s, one can only assume SAC was not throwing a party because no one else was.)

How did they manage to lose money? And why?

It all seems as pointless, cruel and ill-advised as using bagged goldfish as party decorations. At some point, did any organizer say to himself, “Ah, perhaps this is a dumb idea?”

If any doubt remains—yes, it was a very dumb idea. (At the very least, more attention and care should have been taken with any so-called art that involved living creatures) But what can you expect, the distance that separates socialism and social-event planning is such a steep and slippery slope.

Poor judgement? Yup, the type of poor judgement that you would expect from, say… a political hack… nay, many political hacks, with an open case of beer, at an annual general meeting… ostensibly making some kind of political statement (perhaps that they had no respect whatsoever for any Muslims present… no respect for anyone present?… no respect for the proceedings taking place… oh, and no respect for themselves.)

Yes, this is the type of poor judgement that you would expect from, say…. shameless political hacks who, when accused of acting shamelessly, further debase themselves by lying, whining and flaunting their ignorance. (Like having but meagre shreds of character to call their own was somehow something to be proud of?)

As for the shit pile, the Varsity continues to circle and observe. Reports so far? Big and stinky—let’s just hope things improve.