The issue of sexual diversity on campus has seen much fruitful discussion at U of T lately. President Robert Birgeneau even wrote a piece for the October 20th Bulletin on the subject.

Recently, the Faculty of Physical Education and Health (FPEH) released a report by its task force on equity. The report addresses equity in regards to sexual diversity, and it doesn’t paint the most equitable picture of the athletic community on campus.

Sport is notorious for being heterosexist-privileging heterosexuality and devaluing anyone that does not identify him or herself as heterosexual. As a result, many lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, and queer (LGBTQ) individuals are confronted with damaging language and traumatizing experiences in sport.

In working toward equity, we must overcome a long-standing culture of ridicule and silence designed to reinforce certain ideals of masculinity and femininity. For men, the tougher you are on the playing field, the manlier you become. Any behavior that seems less than manly becomes a point of contention. For women, it works the same way-the tougher you are on the field, the manlier you become; and women in sport may be perceived as less feminine.

The FPEH report acknowledges that heterosexism in sport is a barrier to equity at U of T, but it also proposes solutions. The most important of these is education. In particular, administrators, faculty, and coaches in the FPEH are urged to speak freely, openly, and in a non-discriminatory manner with regards to sexual orientation. The idea is that with education will come reform. Let’s hope they’re right.

But homophobia and heterosexism on campus do not stop when the game-ending whistle blows. Athletics is simply an overt display of how we organize ourselves socially.

We are categorized by our body shape and biology. The Faculty of Phys Ed, with an entrenched male/female split, is taking strides to make its programs and spaces more equitable for everyone. The rest of the university should follow its lead.

The establishment of the Office of LGBTQ Resources & Programs four years ago, as well as the undergraduate minor program in sexual diversity studies are both steps in the right direction. But the fact that the FPEH is only now releasing its first report on sexual diversity discrimination indicates that the university still has a long way to go. Sexual minorities have suffered a long history of discrimination at U of T and elsewhere. It is unacceptable that they should still have to struggle for equity at this school, one that prides itself on diversity, equity, and excellence.

Racist or sexist practices and language would never stand anywhere at U of T. Heterosexist and homophobic practices and language should not either. The FPEH is only beginning to skim the surface of this issue, one that is marked by fear of stigmatization and a deep culture of silence. They should be commended, and emulated.

We pride ourselves on our diversity and our equity. But the only way U of T can become discrimination-free and truly equitable, is if every person on this campus consciously embraces the individual’s freedom to be sexually diverse.