York professor Ira Jacobs will replace Bruce Kidd as dean of the physical education and health faculty on July 1. Jacobs has a PhD in clinical physiology and is currently chair of York University’s school of kinesiology and health science. Before that, he was chief scientist at the Swedish government’s human performance lab, conducting physiology research.

“Physical inactivity is a disease state. Exercise is medicine,” Jacobs said. His mission is simple: give U of T students a good dose of medicine. He plans on increasing students’ awareness of the effects of physical inactivity on their health. “We have a great population of students to work with, to provide an opportunity for students to engage in physical activity,” he said.

Kidd, a former Olympian and expert on Olympic history, is the longest-serving dean at U of T. The Varsity Stadium was built under his tenure, and Kidd said he expects to complete fundraising for the Goldring Centre for High Performance Sport before stepping down.

“One of Ira’s huge responsibilities will be to steer the project through construction, implementation, and effective operation,” said Kidd. “[Other challenges include] ongoing leadership for the faculty, ongoing struggle to increase resources, and implementing new programs.”

“It is an exciting time to do this [construction of the Goldring Centre], considering the Pan American Games,” Jacobs said.

The $58-million centre, to be built on Devonshire Place, will include athletic space as well as labs and a medicine clinic. The current office for the Association of Part-Time Undergraduate Students is to be demolished to make way for construction.