Videodrome (1983)

Before David Cronenberg made any promises to the East, he was better known as the Canadian director with an affinity for blood and guts and an unapologetic love for his home city. His Toronto city symphony Videodromeshows a classic Cronenbergian descent into insanity, framed by TTC cars and visits to Spadina storefronts circa 1980

Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004)

After cringing at the unresolved plot of the first Resident Evil film, I was very surprised to see the making of Resident Evil: Apocalypse. Still, Apocalypse gets points for parading Central Tech, the Gardiner Expressway, and essentially every nook and cranny of Toronto as the zombie-ridden Raccoon City. With its climactic fight sequence at City Hall, Apocalypseis Torontonian in all its efforts.

Half Baked (1998)

The goofy stoner bro comedy Half Baked is remembered by many as a good introduction to scriptwriter Sir Smoke-a-lot’s (Dave Chappelle) comedic flare. Still, any Torontonian, stoned or sober, couldn’t miss the iconic Sam the Record Man sign or the Yonge street Pizza Pizza shop that serves as the backdrop for a police horse’s death by junk food.

Goin’ Down the Road (1970)

Don Shebib’s Goin’ Down the Road is an oldie but a goodie — and the best thing about this Canadian landscape film is that it proudly grounds itself in our city. With a distinct Toronto flair, Goin’ Down also goes to show that Yonge Street had a hell of a lot more strip clubs in the ‘70s.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010)

One of the best things about the screen adaptation of Bryan Lee O’Malley’s graphic novel Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is that, like its source material, it doesn’t use Toronto to represent bigger or bolder cities than our own. The beauty of the film lies in its visits to the likes of Lee’s Palace and Casa Loma, all of which confirm its status as an endearingly Torontonian movie.