From not showing up to Lollapalooza to their Epic Records fiasco, Death Grips’ antics never fail to amaze. The spontaneous release of their new album Government Plates best represents Death Grips’ fascinating musical evolution and image.

deathgripsalbumThe aggravated style of rapping and lyrical flow evident in their last album No Love Deep Web is recreated in this album along with the complex digital craft heard in their 2011 release, The Money Store. This perfect amalgamation of both Death Grips’ strengths make Government Plates not only one of their best releases, but the album that best defines their confusing identity.

The album opens with themes of paranoia, death, and sex, but transitions after “Birds,” into a testament to their independent attitude. “When I spit on your face, you’ll take what you can get, ” chants MC Ride in their closing track “Whatever I Want,” acting as a buffer for their transition into what looks to be a new stage in their musical career, one where they are not bound by expectations or contracts. Highlights of this album include “Anne Bonny, ”“Birds,” and “Whatever I Want.” Acting as a “fuck you” to their turbulent year, Government Plates is not one to ignore.