The Trinity Art Show took a chance this week to promote a more creative side of the U of T student community. Seeley Hall in Trinity College was transformed to present a free, inclusive space that allowed for artistic expression and the collaboration between students, patrons, and artists.

The show was able to lend a creative outlet to a variety of different mediums, and a wide array of artistic talent — from painting to sculptures to digital photography. “L’umanita contro il male” by Valerine Chandrakesome was one of three paintings in a series that represented the multiple performances that one body can consume. The use of colour and blurred lines gave the onlooker a feeling of movement and motion. Throughout the exhibit, artwork was hung on one of three sides of erected wooden stands.

Kayla Tremblett’s piece entitled “Harmful Algae Bloom (HABS)” used a mix of digital photography on canvas and was meant to draw on the uncertainty of life, influenced by decay. Her ability to portray the vulnerability of life through the delicate, permeable fabric created an innovative illusion that combined two very different mediums.

In contrast, several postmodern pieces hung throughout the exhibit. Charlene Lo’s two pieces, “Reality” and “Untitled,” used consumer products to question the illusionary truth of reality. She used consumable products to create structures that led the onlooker to question how the eyes perceive their surroundings. The bright colours of her pieces stood out in a room full of muted creations.

Overall, the Trinity Art Show provided an opportunity for emerging artists to contribute to a growing creative culture at U of T. A silent auction offered an incentive for students to commission the work exhibited at the show. Fifteen per cent of the proceeds from the silent auction went towards the Trinity Art Fund Initiative that will allow for the promotion of the artistic community at the college.