Over the last few years, the self-care industry has skyrocketed in popularity. A prime example of this is the rise of the massage gun: a piece of machinery with a handle, body, and extension that contains a soft end. Massage guns employ a technique known as vibration therapy, a practice in which a therapist places a vibrating object on certain parts of your body to relax your muscles. This technique is meant to offer a range of benefits including improved circulation, alleviated stress, and reduced joint and back pain. 

Research has shown that massage guns are effective in providing these benefits. Results from a 2020 study showed that vibration therapy had significant positive short-term effects on calf muscles. Massage guns can also effectively delay the onset of muscle soreness and generally improve short-term muscle health. If used after an intense workout, a massage gun can reduce muscle soreness and speed the recovery process. 

On the other hand, massage guns are known to be able to cause further damage to already strained muscles and ligaments. Individuals who suffer heavily from severe sprains or inflammation should not use technology like massage guns, since these are natural responses to strenuous activity and do not require percussive therapy. Similarly, gym-goers with broken bones should never consider massage guns to be a quick fix. If used on injured body parts, they can cause further breakage and disrupt the healing process that a bone undergoes after fracture or breaking. 

The Varsity interviewed U of T students who are keen on fitness regimens to determine their general opinion on massage guns. 

In a message to The Varsity, U of T student Krupa Mistry said that massage guns feel really nice, and they think that the device does actually relieve muscle pain. “[They’re] kinda fun to use,” Mistry added. 

However, another student did not understand the massage gun’s popularity or its benefits. Jadha Waldron, a student studying forensic psychology, wrote, “I never understood why ppl liked them… I feel like I can [get] the same sensation with my fist.” 

Unfortunately, the fitness industry often seems to be polluted with ineffective gimmicks. Many people like Waldron may believe that the device is ineffective because of the high amount of useless fitness tech available on the market, which ruins the reputation of such products.

Overall, massage guns should only be used in the short term to ease muscle tension and soreness. While they have been proven to be effective in these areas, these devices will not aid in muscle growth or reaching your fitness goals at a large scale, and can even be a detriment for those suffering from serious injuries and conditions.