The oysters found at the Royal Ontario Museum’s latest exhibit Pearls: A Natural History aren’t for eating. In fact, one discovers the mouthwatering morsels found on the menu at one’s favorite restaurant are hardly the best type for cultivating pearls.

Visitors need not be jewelry fanatics to appreciate this exhibit-although, if you are, you can relish in the creations on display by renowned jewelers such as Tiffany’s and Chanel. Fortunately the exhibit offers up much more than a collection of necklaces, brooches and earrings. Science devotees can take pleasure in discovering the process by which a pearl is created. Video screens display the natural process happening over time inside the crustacean. In cultured pearls, a foreign object (usually a small piece of shell) is inserted into the oyster. The oyster in turn releases a protective substance, called nacre, onto the foreign object. Layer upon layer of nacre is released onto the intrusion, which over time produces a pearl. In uncultured pearls, the intrusion happens naturally, instead of being purposefully inserted. The pearl could begin its life as anything from a tiny piece of sand to a small parasite.

The business-minded may be interested to learn about the pearl industry. China was among the first to begin the cultivation process. A timeline mounted on the wall of the exhibit traces the history of the industry and major participant countries. Before the business of cultured pearls, a worker would have to open approximately one thousand oysters before finding a single pearl.

The unique process of formation results in no two pearls being exactly alike. Prices are based on factors such as size, shape and lustre. Larger pearls that are perfectly round will generally be more expensive. High lustre and a clean, unblemished surface are also signs of good quality. Cultured in Japan, Akoya pearls are known for their brilliant lustrous shine.

The highlight of the exhibit is a string of pearls owned by Marilyn Monroe, given to her by Joe DiMaggio on their honeymoon in Japan. Another famous string of pearls on display was owned by Barbara Bush (she was rarely seen without her three-strand pearl necklace). She confesses in a hand-written letter that she loved them so much because they covered her wrinkles! Barbara also comes clean that her pearls aren’t real: “They’re great fakes!”

In essence, one doesn’t need to spend a ton of money to get the look-but it’s still fascinating to go to the ROM and learn about the real deal.

Pearls: A Natural History continues at the Royal Ontario Museum (100 Queen’s Park)’s Garfield Weston Exhibition Hall until January 9. Tickets are $12 with student I.D., or $5 on ROM Friday Nights (4:30 to 9:30 pm). For more info, see www.rom.on.ca.