North by Northeast (NXNE) is a festival of plenty. Among the many artists playing across the city, many unknown and up-and-coming, narrowing down who to see can be daunting. We’ve gone through the endless lineup and pulled out some indie acts to watch if you dig the headliners to help you select your shows of choice.

If you like Mac DeMarco:

Hailing from British Columbia, Mac DeMarco is making waves with Brooklyn-based alternative label Captured Tracks. His particular brand of indie-rock features smooth, slow vocals and a chill lo-fi sound. His shows are full of sweet songs and off-kilter humour. If you’re looking for other acts of a similar vibe at this year’s festival, make sure to check out these musicians.

Try:

1. Juan Wauters

Wauters, like DeMarco, is signed to Captured Tracks. While they have different sounds, the latest from Juan and Mac (N.A.P. North American Poetry and Salad Days, respectively) both make for easy summer listening, with slowed-down tracks perfect for soaking up the sun with a beer in hand.

Thursday, June 19 @ The Garrison, 8 pm
Thursday, June 19 @ Smiling Buddha, 11 pm
Friday, June 20 @ Smiling Buddha, 11 pm
Saturday, June 21 @ Smiling Buddha, 11 pm

2. Craft Spells

If you like the jangly guitars (à la C86) and the lo-fi, fuzzy aesthetics that define the majority of the bands on the Captured Tracks label, you’ll love Craft Spells. In comparison to label mate DeMarco, Craft Spells’ body of work is much darker, with a downright moody vibe. Listen if you want to feel nostalgic for summer before its even officially begun.

Saturday, June 21 @ GAP, 4 pm
Saturday, June 21 @ The Garrison, 12 am

If you like Juicy J:

Juicy J, one half of the legendary duo Three 6 Mafia, has made a name for himself with a solo career full of hot collaborations with other talented hip hop artists, including GTA sensation The Weeknd. Those who do not follow hip-hop music too closely will most likely recognize J for his collaboration with pop superstar Katy Perry on her hit song Dark Horse. Here are some other hip-hop groups we’ll be seeing at the festival.

Try:

1. A$AP Ferg

If you are going to see Juicy J, then you should see A$AP Ferg as well. A$AP Ferg has been touring with Juicy J on the latter’s Stay Trippy tour. His show will be the perfect pump-up for diehard Juicy J fans and a great introduction to rap for those unfamiliar with the genre.

Friday, June 20 @ Tattoo, 12 am

2. Soul Khan

Soul Khan is an up-and-coming Brooklyn-based indie hip-hop artist. He may not have the star power of Juicy J, but his lyrics are easy to follow while maintaining a clever edge. Khan’s vibe is more reminiscent of Lupe Fiasco — his ability to turn a phrase has made him a fierce contender on the rap battle scene. Khan plays around with old school beats, styles, and rhythms that rival those of early ’80s and ’90s DJs. If you’re only going to see one up-and-coming hip-hop artist at this year’s NXNE, this is it.

Friday, June 20 @ Studio Bar, 10:20 pm
Saturday, June 21 @ Weldon Park, 1 am
Sunday, June 22 @ Ryerson, 2:30 pm

If you like St. Vincent:

Over the past couple of years, St. Vincent has crafted her own unique sound through the harmonious evolution of her music and herself. Her self-titled album released earlier this year perfectly demonstrates her mastery by combining both eclectic punk and international inspirations with a pop aesthetic. Here are some equally innovative groups you should catch if you get the chance.

Try:

1. tUne-yArDs

Fans of St. Vincent’s contrasting sound will want to head to the tUnE-yArDs show. Although at first listen, tUnE-yArDs’ sound is quite different, her music is derived from similar eclectic inspirations and is created with unconventional methods. The two artists share a philosophy of creating music that the public may not initially enjoy; but while her sound can be a bit off-putting at first, her recent work with Haitian drumming and dancing creates a sound really worth listening to.

Thursday, June 19 @ Sennheiser House at Massey Hall, 10 pm

2. Perfect Pussy

Listeners who like the edgier side of St. Vincent, as seen in her Record Store Day single “KROKODIL” and throughout her self-titled album, would enjoy Perfect Pussy. The band is decidedly more punk than St. Vincent, but their raw sound is reminiscent of some of her more intense songs.

Friday, June 20 @ Budweiser Music House at The Legendary Horseshoe Tavern, 1 am 
Saturday, June 21 @ The Great Hall, 4:30 pm

If you like Sleigh Bells:

Sleigh Bells’ music is practically undefinable. Their sound ranges from noise rock to experimental electronic to pop. In their 2013 release, Bitter Rivals, the duo went for a more aggressive expression of their previous sounds on Reign of Terror. Their show at Yonge-Dundas Square is sure to feature a wide range of their eclectic offerings.

Try:

1. Fuck Buttons

The aggression in Sleigh Bells’ electronic background is evocative of fellow NXNE performer Fuck Buttons. Though primarily instrumental, the duo creates a sound that listeners unfamiliar with instrumental electronic can enjoy. The duo from Bristol were chosen for the soundtrack to the 2012 London Olympics opening ceremony, and their music holds a unique appeal for it’s hypnotic, repetitive motions.
Thursday, June 19 @ Adelaide Hall, 12 am

2. Autre Ne Veut

If you enjoy Sleigh Bells’ pop edge, Autre Ne Veut is for you. Anxiety, the latest effort from the R&B/electronic artist, has received critical acclaim, and rightfully so. His skillfully crafted instrumentals blend seamlessly with his vocal tracks.

Wednesday, June 18 @ Tattoo, 12 am

If you like Spoon:

Since 1993, Spoon has walked the line between classic rock and indie punk. They are critical and commercial giants on the music scene, with seven stellar albums under their belt. Fans of Spoon will want to look out for rock groups that span from indie to punk rock, and that are willing to push the envelope in new and exciting ways, just as Spoon has been doing in it’s 20-year rock reign.

Try:

1. Robert Ellis

Robert Ellis brings his own particular blend of country, bluegrass, and folk to the NXNE stage. While he falls into a different genre than indie rockers Spoon, his voice is reminiscent of the band’s lead singer Britt Daniel, and Ellis’s faster songs will pique the interest of many indie rock fans at this year’s festival.
Saturday, June 21 @ 189 Church Street

2. Mutual Benefit

Mutual Benefit is garnering a lot of buzz for itself, being named Pitchfork’s best new music and Stereogum’s Band to Watch. The band falls under the blanket of the indie rock genre, but is constantly in flux in terms of band members and sound. The band’s founder Jordan Lee’s strong vocals and the use of different percussion and guitar is reminiscent of bands like Spoon, while still maintaining a new, fresh sound that is all their own.

Wednesday, June 18 @ Budweiser Music House at The Legendary Horseshoe Tavern, 11 pm